Apr 17, 2008

Missing Green!

If you come to Libya between May-January the first thing you will notice when you get few km from the airport is (heat) sand. There is occasional palm tree and some other flowering shrubs, but they are growing directly out of sand. There is no grass in sight and even the existing trees are covered with fine layer of sand so they look kind of dusty. To top that up the architecture here is not what one might call appealing. Houses are surrounded with few meters high walls so people from the street can not see woman inside. Not that there is much to see anyway - most houses I have seen have their "gardens" almost completely tiled. So there is little of the natural green to look at around the town. Makes you really appreciate those few trees you see.

Anyway, that is my personal black spot for Libya. I love nature and I do enjoy beautiful beaches here (will post some pics on that sometime), oasis and desert, but when you originate from mountains covered with lush forests and green meadows it is hard to not miss it.

But since one can not have it all (as G always says) I choose "Hot and Sunny" over green forests. At least for now. And in the meantime we moved in the house with quite decent garden which is getting nicer and nicer. It is amazing what little bit of water does in this heat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I like your blog. It is worth a visit.

Sarong said...

Thanks wangbu!!
I am pleased to tell you that you won "First-To-Comment" prize!! You can choose any topic on life in Libya that interests you and if it is within my knowledge I will do a post on it.